Professional and attentive
family law & divorce attorneys
working hard for you.

Can I move if I share physical custody of my child?

Posted On February 2, 2018 In Child Custody

It is not uncommon for Arizona residents to change jobs over the course of their careers. In fact, some individuals may even change industries or occupational paths that take them on very different courses of life. When opportunities to make career moves come up it is often the case that the move will impact more than just the person seeking to make the switch.

Children can often be affected if their parents decide that they want to change jobs and relocate to new cities or even states. Particularly if a child is subject to a custody plan, a move could mean big changes for their normal course of life. If a parent has sole custody of their child then the move may be easier as they may not need permission from the other parent to make the change.

However, if a child’s parents share custody of them then the parent who hopes to move may need to work out a new plan so that the other parent is not left without contact with their kid. They may need to get the consent of the other parent; if the other parent does not grant consent then the parent who wants to move may have to propose a new custody plan that serves the child’s best interests.

It is always possible that if a parent does not grant consent for their child to be relocated that a court may determine that the parent may not move with the child. A parent who wants to move should be knowledgeable about the local laws that may impact their plans. Consultation with a Chandler child custody attorney is a helpful way to receive case-specific guidance on this and other important child custody topics.