Professional and attentive
family law & divorce attorneys
working hard for you.

Chandler Parental Relocation/Move Aways

In the aftermath of a separation or divorce, the lives of both spouses will inevitably change. This may lead to one parent needing to move, possibly for a job, a new partner, or some other relevant reason. When there are minor children between former spouses, moving away can become complicated and require the approval of the court. At Wilson-Goodman Law Group, PLLC, our Chandler parental relocation attorneys are ready to get to work on your case today.

Let the Wilson-Goodman Law Group, PLLC help with parental relocations

The aftermath of a divorce can be an emotional time as you rebuild your life. Because this is so personal, you need an attorney you can trust. At Wilson-Goodman Law Group, PLLC, we are the firm you need to get through this.

  • Our compassionate and knowledgeable attorneys have more than two decades of experience helping clients with family law matters.
  • We are responsive to our clients’ needs and are always available to answer any questions or concerns about your case.
  • We offer reasonable rates because we believe that everyone should have access to affordable family law assistance.

Why is an attorney necessary for parental relocations in Chandler?

You should not try to tackle a move away alone. When there are minor children involved, approval from the court is necessary. Whether you are the parent wanting to relocate or a parent wanting to keep your child nearby, an attorney will work to ensure your rights are maintained by:

  • Informing you of the Arizona relocation requirements.
  • Ensuring all of the facts of the case are organized and ready to present.
  • Being ready to argue your case to the court.

What happens when a parent wants to move?

Because a move by a parent with physical custody of a child can effectively keep the other parent from exercising their parental rights on a regular basis, the state takes move-away cases very seriously. A judge will want to ensure that this move is necessary and not an attempt to keep the other parent from participating in their child’s life.

Ariz. Rev. Stat. §25-408 requires a parent who wishes to relocate with their child to give at least 60 days advance written notice by certified mail before they may relocate the child either:

  • out of the state, or
  • more than 100 miles away within Arizona

The non-moving parent then has 30 days to file a petition with the court to prevent the relocation. Failure of the relocating parent to follow this law can lead to the parent being held in contempt of the court.

There are many compelling and legitimate reasons that a custodial parent may need to move, including:

  • a better job
  • to be closer to the emotional and financial support of extended family
  • remarriage

We are ready to get to work on your case

After a separation or divorce, one of the spouses may wish to relocate with their child. However, this can become a complicated process and may require legal assistance. At Wilson-Goodman Law Group, PLLC, our knowledgeable and experienced team is ready to help you through this. Let us evaluate your case and determine the steps you need to take to gain court approval. If your former spouse is moving with your child, we will help analyze what rights they have. When you need a Chandler parental relocation attorney, you can contact us to schedule a one-on-one appointment to discuss your case by clicking here or by calling (480) 503-9217.