Professional and attentive
family law & divorce attorneys
working hard for you.

What Is Elder Law?

Elder law includes:

  • End-of-life medical care
  • Medical decision-making for people who cannot communicate their wishes
  • Financial management for people who are not capable of handling their own finances

These issues fall under the heading of “elder law,” but they are clearly important for anyone who has strong feelings about their end-of-life medical care. There are a number of estate planning tools that can be used to tell your family members what you would want should you become seriously disabled or terminally ill. Start today to get your affairs in order. It only takes one call to Wilson-Goodman Law Group, PLLC, to begin the process: call (480) 503-9217 or (480) 686-9400, or contact us online.

Living Wills

The law gives each individual the right to decide what kind of medical treatment they want or don’t want. New medical technologies make it possible to keep critically and permanently injured people alive. Some people want any treatment available; others want to avoid medical treatment that they see as prolonging the process of dying. Decisions about medical treatment must be made when a person is competent. An end-of-life health care directive or “living will” is the legal evidence of your medical treatment wishes. It can guide your family, your medical care providers, as well as the court if necessary.

Health Care Power Of Attorney

A related document called a health care power of attorney allows you to appoint a person to make health care decisions for you. This can be particularly important if close relatives do not agree with your wishes. A health care power of attorney is more flexible than a living will.

Durable Power Of Attorney

A power of attorney can temporarily or permanently give another person the power to make decisions for you. These decisions could relate to health care or management of your finances or a business. People with degenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer’s disease, may choose to draft a durable power of attorney to give financial decision-making authority to a loved one so that their affairs can be handled when they can no longer do so.

Guardianship Or Conservatorship

If your loved one becomes incapacitated, disabled, seriously ill or is no longer capable of making informed decisions about managing their finances or their daily affairs, or caring for themselves, you will have to go court to get authority to act on their behalf. If the proper documents are not in place giving you the authority to make decisions for them prior to such an unfortunate event, we can help you through the necessary court procedures to get you appointed as guardian and/or conservator of your loved one.

Contact our firm online or call (480) 503-9217 or (480) 686-9400 to schedule an appointment with a Gilbert elder law attorney.