Gilbert Alimony Lawyers
Contrary to rumor, there are no set maintenance guidelines for determining alimony (also called spousal maintenance or spousal support) like there are for child support in Arizona. However, there are certain factors that determine one's eligibility for maintenance after divorce and factors that influence the duration and amount of that maintenance.
Because this area of law is somewhat vague, you need Queen Creek or Gilbert alimony attorneys who are very familiar with the statutory factors and how the facts of your case may apply. At Wilson-Goodman Law Group, PLLC, our lawyers understand how to relate the requirements to specific circumstances in our clients' lives in order to effectively argue for or against a spousal maintenance award.
Factors the Arizona Courts Consider When Awarding Alimony
According to Arizona Statute Section 25-319, the court must consider all relevant factors when determining the monetary amount and length of time for a spousal maintenance order. These factors include:
- The standard of living during the marriage and length of the marriage
- The age, physical and emotional condition, earning ability, and employment history of the one seeking alimony
- The ability of the higher-earning spouse to pay regular alimony
- The comparative financial resources of both spouses
- Whether the one seeking alimony contributed to the other's earning ability or reduced his or her own income and career opportunities for the higher-earning spouse
- The ability of both spouses to help pay for the education of their children
- The time necessary for any education or employment training for the spouse seeking alimony
- Any fraudulent disposition, destruction or concealment of community property
- Reductions or increases in health insurance costs after the divorce
- Any criminal damages or judgments against one spouse for offenses against the other or their children
Because Arizona is a no-fault divorce state, marital misconduct or infidelity is generally not a factor that the court takes into account when awarding alimony.
Talk to Our Mesa Spousal Maintenance Attorneys Today
Do you have questions about spousal maintenance in Arizona? Do not hesitate to schedule a confidential consultation with Wilson-Goodman Law Group, PLLC Contact one of our lawyers in Gilbert at 480-359-1758 or our Queen Creek office at 800-409-2187. We look forward to assisting you.
Se Habla Español/Ons Praat Afrikaans